Royal Alaskan Movers Moving Checklist, tips from the pros!
Need help preparing for your move? Feeling overwhelmed with packing and not sure where to start? For answers to these questions and moving tips from the pros, Royal Alaskan Movers has put together a checklist list that you might find helpful as you plan your move and settle in to your new location.
Working with Royal Alaskan Movers
- Call Royal Alaskan Movers to set a date for our certified moving consultant to visually survey your home and prepare an estimate.
- If your company is paying for your move, refer to their moving policy to determine the services our professional movers will be authorized to perform.
- When it comes to packing, Royal Alaskan Movers certified moving consultant is available to discuss our packing services with you.
- During the walk through with one of our certified moving consultants make sure to clearly identify all items that need to be packed and moved by our professional movers. Any items you do not wish to have moved by our professional movers, we suggested putting those items together in a specified area away from your other goods. Any items you fail to disclose or that are added later to the shipment will increase the cost.
- Go over the Estimate/Order for service; make sure you have a clear understanding of each section. If you have any questions, ask your certified moving consultant to explain.
- Keep the phone number and name of a your certified moving consultant or move coordinator handy.
Places to notify:
- Notify the post office that you are moving. An online Change of Address form is available on the United States Postal Service website.
- Prepare a list of friends, relatives, business firms and others who should be notified of your move. The following checklist will be helpful:
- Electric, Gas and Water
- Sewer and Trash
- Bank/Finance and Credit Card Companies
- Car registration and License
- Newspapers and Magazines
- Accountant (Check with your accountant as some moving expense may be tax-deductible)
Working with Royal Alaskan Movers professional mover:
- Notify your certified moving consultant if you add or remove items from your planned move or if there are any changes in dates.
- Be sure to supply your certified moving consultant with the destination address, your email address and phone numbers where you can be reached before, during and after your move.
- Confirm any extra stops and locations required to pick up or deliver goods other than the main pickup or delivery points.
- If your car is being moved, please discuss the details with your certified moving consultant
Preparing household items:
- Federal law requires that you dispose of flammables such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, chemistry sets, aerosol cans, ammunition, and poisons such as weed killer. Drain fuel from your power mower and other machinery. Discard partly used cans of oil, paint, thinner, bleach, or any other substances that may be flammable or combustible or those stored in containers that may leak.
- Discard propane tanks which are used for barbecue grills.
- Set an appointment with a service technician to prepare your major appliances for shipment, or have your agent send someone out who is authorized to perform this service.
- Set a date for having utilities disconnected. If possible, plan to keep utilities in service through moving day.
- Collect and pack all of your valuables. Once packed be sure to put in a safe place for you to move yourself.
- Obtain a written appraisal of antique items to verify value. Avoid waxing or oiling wooden antiques (and fine wood furniture) before moving because some products might soften the wood, making it vulnerable to imprinting from furniture pads.
- Do not clean your upholstered furniture before moving. Moisture could cause mold if furniture must be placed in storage.
Working with Royal Alaskan Movers’ professional packers
- Be sure to identify any extra-fragile items needing special attention. Properly mark any items you do not want packed or moved, as well as cartons you will want first when the shipment arrives at destination.
- Remove all wall décor, mirrors and pictures prior to the Royal Alaskan Movers arrival and have them ready to be packed.
- Collect things you definitely want packed together, such as children’s toys, and place in separate groups.
- Unplug all electronic appliances prior to the Royal Alaskan Movers arrival; this includes home computers, stereos, televisions, and audio/video equipment.
Last minute details:
- Check closets, cabinets, and storage lockers for any articles overlooked.
- Be on hand when the service representative arrives to prepare your appliances for shipment.
Working with Royal Alaskan Movers professional packers
- Place your valuables in a safe area, in order for the professional packers not to mix up your inventory and accidentally pack them.
- It is your responsibility to see that all of your goods are loaded, so remain on the premises until loading is complete. After making a final tour of the house, check and sign the inventory. Get your copy from the crew chief and keep it.
- Make sure the crew chief has the exact destination address. Be sure to let the crew chief know how you can be reached, including phone numbers and email address.
Take a last look around:
- Water shut off?
- Furnace shut off?
- Light switches turned off?
- All utilities arranged for disconnection
- Windows shut and locked?
- Old house keys surrendered?
- Have you left anything?
Working with Royal Alaskan Movers professional mover:
- A Royal Alaskan Movers move coordinator will contact you to set a specific date for your good to be delivered.
- Be on hand to accept delivery. If you cannot be there personally, be sure you authorize an adult to be your representative to accept delivery and pay the charges for you.
- Check your household goods, as they are unloaded. If there is a change in the condition of the property from that noted on the inventory at the time of loading or if any items are missing, note discrepancies on the crew chief’s copy of the inventory sheet. By signing the inventory sheet, you are acknowledging receipt of all items listed. Personally report any loss or damage to your move coordinator. Please visit our FAQs to learn about filing a claim
- When unloading, each piece of furniture will be placed as you direct, including the laying of rugs and setting up any beds disassembled at origin.
- Keep all documents pertaining to your move in a safe place. You will need them for verification of moving expenses when you file your federal income tax returns
- Check with your new post office for any mail being held and ask for delivery to start.
- Check state (and local) requirements for auto registration and a driver’s license.
- Let us know how we did, Yelp about us or send us an email. We are dedicated to making your move as seamless as possible and appreciate all feedback during and after your move.