We are dedicating this blog article to address a recent issue that has plagued online search users: Pet Scammers. There is a new wave of internet scam artists that seek to take advantage of online puppy buyers, offering cute puppy pictures and false promises. Would-be puppy and dog owners are often taken for emotional and financial rides that end up costing hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.
As Pet Scammers frequently operate from overseas, it is almost impossible for victims to get their money back or take legal action. Areas such as California, Florida and Louisiana are particularly being targeted by pet scams.
The following are examples of names of fraudulent companies and e-mail addresses that have been already been identified:
- firstname.lastname@example.org IntPetRelocators
- World Wide Pets Relocators
- Pets Relocators Transportation Agency
- Pet Delivery/Air Transport Department, Pet Shipping Agency Singapore
- Global Pets Travel Service
- Pet Shipping Agencypets_relocators_delivery@mail.com
- USA Pet Relocation Delivery Service
If you have already been scammed, we recommend that you do the following as soon as possible:
1) Gather as much information about the scammer as possible, including:
- E-mail address of the scammer
- Western Union name that the money was sent to (or that they asked the money be sent to)
- Phone numbers/addresses given by the scammer
- Any other information that you were given
2) If you were scammed by someone in Cameroon, we recommend that you make sure to Fax a letter of complaint to the US Embassy in Cameroon. The embassy information is as follows:
- The United States Embassy in Cameroon
Phone: (237) 2220-1500
Fax (237) 2220-1500 x 4531
3) Make sure to post the scammer information that you have collected to sites such as Fraudwatchers.org and other online communities that have dedicated themselves to exposing these online scams.
To further protect yourself from online scams such as these, it is important to know what to watch for. We recommend that you visit sites such as Scambusters or FraudWatchers to learn more about current pet scams and find out ways that you can better protect yourself. These are valuable resources that have the potential to save you a lot of money, and heartache in the future.